The fall of one dictator after another in the continent is always praise as positive change towards the end of self-perpetuating rule in the continent. However, this perception is deceptive as one dictatorship in is being recycled from form to another instead of putting an end to autocratic rule. Even though Personalist dictatorship is the most evident form of dictatorship in the continent, hybrid dictatorships, military dictatorships, monarchies, and single party dictatorships also exist.
Recent global list of dictatorships” by World Population Review has featured twenty-one (21) African States under dictatorship.
Below is the list of the State and the dictators respectively.
1. Algeria Abdelkader Bensalah
2. Angola Joao Lourenco
3. Burundi Pierre Nkurunziza
4. Cameroon Paul Biya
5. Central-African Republic Faustin Archange Touadera
6. Chad Idriss Deby
7. DR. Congo Felix Tshisekedi
8. Equatorial Guinea Teodoro Mbasogo Obiang
9. Eritrea Isaias Afwerki
10. Ethiopia Abiy Ahmed
11. Gabon Albert-Bernard Bongo
12. Libya Nouri Abusahmain
13. Mauritania Mohamed Ould Ghazouani
14. Republic Of The Congo Denis Sassou Nguesso
15. Rwanda Paul Kagame
16. Somalia Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
17. South Sudan Salva Kiir Mayardit
18. Sudan Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan
19. Uganda Yoweri Museveni
20. Western Sahara Brahim Ghali
21. Egypt Abdel Fattah el-Sisi